Hutt People get involved! Expressions of interest due September 12 (if applying for Creative Communities funding) or October 5 2016
The Council’s Community Arts Advisor is running a public programme providing space for Hutt community and Wellington art and water related groups to contribute to Common Ground Festival by responding to the theme of Groundwater during Common Ground 2017. This activity will complement five artist projects that have been commissioned by Letting Space with support from Creative New Zealand and Hutt City Council.
We are inviting community groups, waterways advocacy groups, education groups, artists, musicians, actors and art groups who are interested in working with water issues, to occupy or share empty shop spaces or come up with events in the Hutt CBD for the duration of Common Ground Sat 25 Feb – Sat 4 March 2017 to showcase what you do to the wider community. There will also be a central hub run by Letting Space with an events programme.
Common Ground: Hutt Public Art Festival is a public art festival held in Hutt City every two years. Common Ground’s 2015 debut saw High Street come alive with events including a recreated 1960s Elbe’s Milk Bar, a 24 hour clothing sweatshop and a Pacific Island reading room.
We share the waterways that run beneath our feet. Water is a vital part of our sense of common ground. Common Ground 2017 celebrates the relationship between the communities of the Hutt and its river Te Awa Kairangi, streams, springs and aquifer, and recognises that the Hutt provides water to the entire Wellington region.
- The programme will be coordinated so there are few clashes.
- Each group will be responsible for organising and manning their own space through the About Space programme, and coming up with a programme.
- Spaces will be allocated in Jan-Feb 2017, but will be dependent on availability.
Activities might include:
Pop-up library, Story-telling, Education activities / workshops, Performances, Installations, Exhibitions on a water-related theme, Displays about who you are and what you do, and Fundraising food-stalls
What do I do now?
- Meet with your people and come up with a project idea.
- Put in an expression of interest by 12 September (if you are applying for Creative Communities arts funding), or 5 October otherwise. You will find out the following day whether your project idea has been accepted. An Expression of Interest form can be accessed here: Expression of Interest for Common Ground 2017 Public Programme-1
- Apply for funding if necessary (Creative Communities Scheme is open until 26 September for art projects taking place in the Hutt). See HCC funding page here.
Contact Pippa Sanderson, HCC Community Arts Advisor Ph: 04 560 1257 / 027 356 4103